You can choose whether to use actual sweet potatoes (the small ones) or yams (the large ones). I usually use the large yams, sometimes I’ll use the small ones. It’s good either way.
- 6 large Yams or 9 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup of loosely packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large bag of marshmellows
- 1 stick butter
- Cook the yams in foil in oven for about 1-2 hours on 350 degrees until soft.
- Let cool a bit until warm/hot, not boiling hot out of the oven.
- Skin the yams and put the flesh in a bowl.
- Mash them loosely and add the butter and let melt into the yams.
- Add the salt, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla. Mix in a little.
- Add the orange juice and mix in a little.
- Now use the electric whisk and whisk until the potatoes are broken down and mixture is smooth, no lumps.
- Put in baking dish and level out.
- Put the marshmellows on the top in a layer and cook in a medium hot oven 375 until the marshmellows are crispy and golden brown and sweet potatoes hot throughout.